Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ten lessons only India could have taught me.

I have spent nearly four months in India this year. I'm a better person for it. I can't say the lessons learned have been easy and that India was a paradise. They weren't and it isn't. I'm so glad I went and here are just a few of the reasons why.

1.   I have an appreciation for clean, pure drinking water. When Christ uses "living" water as figurative imagery in the Bible, I get it. I really get it. Safe drinking water was essential for survival in the hot, humid Indian climate and I learned to always carry water with me wherever I went. I'm grateful for the deeper understanding that experience gave me regarding the importance of never being far from another essential source: the words and teachings of the Savior.

2.   I'm grateful for the scientists and doctors who have devoted their life's work to preventing and immunizing children against common childhood diseases such as measles and whooping cough.

3.   I'm glad that I have been blessed with competent, accessible medical and dental care.

4.   I appreciate the education that I and my family have received. We worked hard for that knowledge, but the tools for self-improvement were readily available if we put forth the effort.

5.   I'm glad that I live in a world where women are respected and allowed to fulfill their dreams and ambitions.

6.   I am forever proud to be a citizen of the United States of America, a Country that has not yet forgotten its poor and humble. It is a privilege and an honor to pay taxes in such a country.

7.   I am so blessed to be able to read and to have ready library access to virtually any book that may catch my fancy.

8.   I appreciate all the modern conveniences of a kitchen - running water, pots, pans, plates, silverware, glasses . . . . . .all of it.

9.   I'm glad for traffic rules and regulations in the U.S. Even though I'm presently dodging a photo radar ticket, I'm still grateful for traffic safety.

10.  I love our clean air, our clean streets, and especially the garbage pick-up service.

There you have it. I could name more, but ten will have to do. Thank you, India, for humbling me. Thank you for bringing me out of my self-satisfied, smug, secure cocoon. Thank you for teaching me that I'm made of tougher stuff than I imagined. And thank you for helping me to become a human being.

May I never forget you, India. I can't. You have all my money now.



3 comments:

  1. That's a really cool insight about the water. Maybe I need to go to India too so that lesson will sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "8. I appreciate all the modern conveniences of a kitchen - running water, pots, pans, plates, silverware, glasses . . . . . .all of it.

    9. I'm glad for traffic rules and regulations in the U.S. Even though I'm presently dodging a photo radar ticket, I'm still grateful for traffic safety.

    10. I love our clean air, our clean streets, and especially the garbage pick-up service. "

    Yup, you never know how good you have something 'til it's gone.

    ReplyDelete