Saturday, December 3, 2011

What in the HECK do I think I'm doing?

In 26 days, I will leave the comfort of home and hearth to spend four months in India. It wasn't a decision made in a day. I did some serious thinking about India's heat, poverty, disease, culture, over-population, long flight time and deadly animals, snakes, and insects. I thought and I thought and I thought. I weighed the benefits against the liabilities. I could think of only one benefit: making a difference in the lives of children who desperately need to learn English. So I made the decision. I decided to ignore the liabilities. Just ignore them. It was the only healthy thing I could think of to do because if I thought about it too much, my resolve would weaken. I'm wondering just what kind of stuff I'm made out of. I guess we'll see, won't we? But one thing I know for sure: I will finish the 'good fight'. I'm not coming home until I've taught some kids some English skills. I will have faith that I can do that. I hear India calling my name. I have a feeling that it is not so much what I will be giving to India, but what India will give to me. Namaste.

3 comments:

  1. I'm your first comment! I plan to follow your journey through my feedreader so please keep us posted! Have you found a "breastplate of fear" yet? (passport security)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we go! I especially like the first option. . .

    http://www.goinginstyle.com/Travel-Bra-Stash-P3196C8.aspx

    http://travelsky.en.alibaba.com/product/50859685-50066842/13539_Security_Leg_Wallet.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the information! I was out yesterday looking at all the suggested armour. I'll check out those websites. Travel-Bra-Stash? Security-Leg-Wallet? Wow. What did I do to myself?

    ReplyDelete