Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My New Friends, Harold and Kumar

I have been adopted yet again. This time, it's two stray kittens. One is a beautiful gray mottled color and the other is just a run of the mill black kitten. They follow me everywhere and sleep on the mat outside my door. They attack my feet and jump out at me from every conceivable corner. I am becoming immune to fear of any kind. A kind of fatalism has settled in. It's the Indian way. I think I've gone native.

I have a little student named Joseph Stalin. He's a terrific little dancer, but they all are. I just love his name. There is also a John F. Kennedy, but he's not one of my students. I think Michael Jackson must have come to India to pick up some cool dancing moves before he filmed "Thriller". A great day at school today. But what I wouldn't give for (1)scotch tape, (2) butcher paper, (3) paper towels, and (4)paper dinner napkins. The children and the teachers eat their meals with their hands. And I'm not talking about sandwiches and chips. The meals always consist of some type of rice, and two or three unidentifiable sauces. It's best to eat in dim lighting. Did you know there's such a thing as red rice? It's the mainstay of my diet now.

There's something about India that is absolutely magical. The people have lived here for thousands of years. They know how to do things I couldn't begin to fathom. I had forgotten something I needed for school, so I ran back to the hostel to pick it up. The most amazing thing happened then. The Indian women are very graceful. There was an Indian worker at the hospice and she picked up a bowl of rice powder and with just the tiniest motion of her head indicated that I should follow her. So I did. We walked outside together and she proceeded to draw on the sidewalk the most incredible art design I have ever seen with that rice powder. And she did it just for me. I stood watching her create this masterpiece that will soon disappear and I felt very honored. It was just the two of us, one the teacher and one the learner. It was so quiet. I stood watching a beautiful Indian woman drawing with rice powder on the sidewalk stones one of the most intricate designs I have ever seen. Amazing.

By the way, I think there's a bird living in my room with me. I hear it chirping, but I can't find it. Harold and Kumar will have to stay outside for a while until the bird is safely gone. This Saturday, they are being neutered and getting all of their shots. Then, I guess they are going to be mine. I won't have to wonder about snakes or rats under the bed. I'm getting attached to my little friends. Every day here is a wonder.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have "little" friends. Betty, you need to write a book about this experience. Share with the world about these people and their lives...By the way, what is the organization you are with? Maybe some of us out here who cannot go to India to help physically could help economically...Give the kitties a pet for me and those sweet kids a hug for me...love you! diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve those kitties for torturing Mr. Studley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me thinks you will be changed forever by these experiences. Our lives are all intertwined for eternal reasons. I believe we have far more impact on the people in our lives than we know. The children will most remember your good nature and that you loved them. P.S. keep your feet covered at night

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is as good as any book I've ever read. Does anyone over there know who Harold and Kumar are? Treasure each day...and we will treasure reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Jarrett:
    www.weareinducklandandyourenot.wemissyou

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving your blog. And to think your India experience is in it's early stages. Thanks for taking the time to write. Now all you need is a watch dog.

    ReplyDelete