Friday, January 13, 2012

Watch it!

I just took this picture of a very much alive, very angry viper snake about ten feet outside of my door. Actually, this is my very first picture ever of any kind of snake. Yes, it's poisonous. Everything in India seems to be poisonous. Here's the Indian version of controlling the snake population: They find a large tractor, hook a mower on the back of it, and mow down ALL the grass that snakes like to hide in. In theory, that sounds like a pretty good idea. Right? WRONG. Snakes like grass. They like the protection of grass. They eat little animals in the grass. Without grass, they have nowhere to go and nowhere to hide. They get angry. They get hungry.

After the groundskeeper killed this snake, he said to me laughing and bobble heading, "You not see this kind of thing on Discovery Channel in 'Merica?" Indians. There's a comedian in every crowd.

Just when I had stopped resenting my "Flashlight of Death". I brought a flashlight that I carry with me everywhere when I have to be outside at night or even go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. But it's a defective, "Made in China" flashlight and it has this nasty habit of just shutting off whenever and wherever it feels like it. I would love a video of me hopping up and down slapping my flashlight against my head, the wall, the floor, the bricks, anything, to get it back on again before . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . just when I was getting a little careless, I'm back to heartstopping, heartpounding, jumping up and down with my "Made in China" flashlight.

Whoever is reading this blog to Mom, maybe you better skip this one. And Mike . . . . . . . . .HELP!!!

8 comments:

  1. MOM! I am having an anxiety attack. COME HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe I'm having my first anxiety attack ever, too. We should probably form a support group, you and I. I had two more classes to teach when I took this picture and I took my camera to class and told the kids to watch their every step. Many of them are barefoot and they will be playing out on the grounds for four days. We're having a school holiday on Monday and Tuesday. I'm worried that the snakes seem so desperate for cover that they're coming closer and closer to where humans hide out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your anxiety myself! I DO NOT LIKE SNAKES!!! Please take care and be careful. Is Mike going to send you another flashlight or 12? Maybe a great big flood light would be better. I used to have nightmares about snakes. My mother was born and raised in Tennessee and we would go out to visit and I just almost stepped on one. I jumped back 3 feet and screamed loud enough to wake the dead. My cousins who lived about a 200 yards away heard me and came running. They all laughed at me (the kids that is)my grandmother sent everyone looking for the snake and kept asking me are you sure you saw a snake? I was traumatized for days (a long time when you are 12). Take care!

      Delete
    2. I had the same experience of stepping on a snake when I was about 12! And barefoot too. This was in Alabama. So when we moved to the country in Virginia and I had young kids, I had to retrain myself not to scream at the very sight of snakes. Like 7 ft black snakes that glided up to me when I was weeding the garden. SCREEEAAAMMMM! I was determined that my children would be able to dstinguish between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes and not be afraid of the "good" one. But it was a trial, a real trial!! So... screaming at and being afraid of poisonous snakes, that's a good thing. :P

      Delete
    3. I have just one word, XANAX! 2 mg PO PRN.

      Delete
  3. Do the Indians seem concerned about the snakes? Probably something you get used to. We used to listen to a currency trader who did daily seminars from Sacramento, but once he spent a week at his ancestral home in South Africa. You could hear strange bird and insect sounds - and dogs barking. There were daily interruptions while he went to check on which kind of poisonous snake the dogs had killed. Black mambas were a favorite. Once there were 3 in one day. Another day he interrupted the broadcast to go kill a snake that had gotten past the dogs and into the kitchen. He seemed completely unconcerned but it sure freaked out the audience members, including us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.K. It is official...I will not sleep until you get home...Mike...GO GET BETTY!!!!! NOW!!!! diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a nice, "look at the beautiful children I'm helping!" post now, these last two have got me stressed!

    ReplyDelete