Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Bindi

A Bindi is a jewel worn on your forehead between your eyes. The children placed a Bindi on my forehead this morning and they have been rearranging it all day. They are trying to make it look perfect. They are the most amazing little people. When I walk past, if they are sitting, they immediately stand up. They are happy, noisy, sassy, attentive, fun-loving . . . .in short, all the things that a healthy child should be. Their lives are literally being transformed by this opportunity provided to them to gain an education. Correction: if they do well in school and learn to speak, read, and write English well, they will have a life. They have one other choice and it is unthinkable. Their parents sacrifice everything to help them. that includes seeing their children only once a month. The children all live on the campus grounds, which by the way, is a compound that is locked and guarded 24/7. I have had some teary moments, but for the most part, I have on my sunglasses and nobody sees. I have never felt the weight so heavily as I do now to be a thorough and exacting teacher, yet kind and encouraging. I have to be careful if I sit down because if I do, I suddenly find myself with two or three squirming, happy little Indian children struggling to balance themselves on my lap. I am daily humbled and constantly in search of divine inspiration and guidance. The children will dress me in another Bindi tomorrow. They love rearranging it and they also love my earrings and necklace. I am becoming an Indian. Sha-la-la-la-la-la.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings about India. I read them and see the pictures in my mind. Thank you for taking me along with you on your journey. I look forward to your next post. Good luck and stay safe and well, my prayers continue for you. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate the prayers and thoughts of everyone. And while you're praying for me, please pray for these little kids and that I'll know what to do to effectively teach them what they need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty, you will know what to so, I'm sure of it. You can't change the entire country, but you can make a huge difference in these children's lives. You are there as an agent of change, so just relax and let it flow through you. And don't drink the water! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you've made it to your destination. I can't wait to hear all about how you got there. Was it an adventure? And we need a diet report. What ARE you eating?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing the details of your experience. Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The children are your blessings....I know one Indian child who became mine...much love to you. Stay strong...praying for you night and day...

    diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I showed your post to my class today. They are excited to learn of your adventures and India. Here are their comments...
    "Thank you for helping people who don't have what we have."
    "Have you seen any belly dancers?"
    "Have you rode on an elephant?"
    You will start to see the classes personality as they go on this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra - We HAVE to think of a way to expose these classes to one another! I'm sure the Indian children have plenty of questions for your students, also. Their worlds are such polar opposites. Answers to their questions: I haven't seen any belly dancers, but I see Indian women every day dressed in the tradtional beautiful Indian Saris. And ALL of the children are fabulous dancers. Michael Jackson learned everything he knew about dancing from Indian children. (probably not true) I have not ridden an elephant, but there are elephant statues everywhere. I'll send you a picture - lots of pictures to share with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello Mrs youareinindia,

    nice to read about your experience very different what about you have home; many blessings and guiding to know what to do forward.
    from someone who also could be called iminindiatoo

    ReplyDelete