Friday, March 16, 2012

The Beauty of an Indian Sunrise

You have to get up early to enjoy this day because in about three hours, you're going to be swimming in heat and humidity. Think Florida on steroids. Phoenix on testosterone. Houston on muscle drinks.

The early mornings are my favorite time of day here. It's eerily quiet. I suddenly realize why. There is absolutely no noise pollution. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch. I have not seen a single-engine airplane since I left Portland. I haven't seen any type of aircraft, large or small, flying around since the Indian Air Force buzzed the school building about eight weeks ago. That was my exciting, eventful aviation experience in India. Someone wanted to know what country could possibly be flying fighter jets so low in India. I said, "W-e-l-l, this IS India. Let's think about that." Then I uttered a silent, fervent prayer that those fighters weren't Pakistani.

There are early morning bird calls and lots of raucous arguing in the trees, but even the birds take cover with the arrival of the heat and humidity. There is very little traffic on the dirt farm road outside the gate. Occasionally, there is a motorcycle or a farm cart pulled by cows. Once in a great while, a little truck of sorts goes putt-putting by. With those few exceptions, it's utter silence. I never knew how nostalgic I would get for the hustle and bustle of the Sunset Highway.

Sudden, awkward change of subject . . . . . . .

The school is not air-conditioned. The kiddies would freeze in air conditioning. There are fans in the classrooms, but they're pretty useless. When they are turned on, they have one speed: Hurricane Katrina in a bad mood. There are four of these bad boys in every classroom. I wait to comb my hair until I get to school. The fans do it for me with half the trouble. Oh, and did I mention that when the fans are on, there is PLENTY of noise pollution? As in we use sign language so we can communicate? It's such a perfect environment for Second Language Learners. I can't hear them. They can't hear me. Klassroom Karma Dharma. There is one word that I'm pretty certain my students know very well: WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? Repeated, oh, about a thousand times a day.

Oh, and here's just one fine example among many of my well-honed teaching abilities. Yesterday, I gave a 7th Standard kid a wedgie. He was long overdue. Today, he informed me that I had permanently damaged his 'man parts'. I used that precious teaching moment as an opportunity to introduce and illustrate the amazing science of a sports cup. His eyes were as big as saucers.

If only they would stop asking me when I am going to leave. I could bear this much better. I'm deaf, hippie-looking, sunbleached, and drinking more water than your average fish. That's why there are so many hippies in India. Underneath that unwashed, unkempt, bleary eyed exterior, is a buttoned down, tailored, widdo pweppie heart.

But that sunrise. . . . . . . . in the quiet, beautiful, stillness of another Indian morning, I am. Still. Here. Thank you, God.    

10 comments:

  1. I really want you to consider writing a book about this experience....I know so many who would buy it and read it...seriously I want you to consider doing this...you have a way with words that just draws the reader in...di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wished I could have seen the wedgie. Cool.

    And I would like to read a book on your experiences in India. Put me on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wedgie was worthy of any scout overnighter. Unfortunately, it's a brand new concept for boys here in India. I HOPE Ashok's not right and that I didn't permanently damage his 'man parts'. I was in no position to give first aid.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, Betty. You owe it to yourself and all of us - and all those people out there who haven't had the privilege of learning about India through your eyes - to write that book when you come back. If we have learned so much and gotten so involved by reading these short blog entries, think how much you could EDUCATE the readers by going into great detail. I was raised to support libraries and leave the books there on the shelves, so I'm a penny pincher when it comes to books! I would buy yours though. And read it with great interest. I know you have a lot more to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany, I have PLENTY more to say, but my plan is to get out of India first. My Mother won't be dissuaded from believing that the entire Indian Government is reading my blog and keeping score.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a gorgeous sunrise picture. I love the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky. I was looking to get the colors of the sky.

      Delete
  6. Snickerdoodles right back atcha! Heart.

    ReplyDelete