Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"This Swamp's Gotta Be Drained" HOOYAH

That's a direct quote from the new Program Director of this school! Well, partly. The HOOYAH is my own addition. It represents my relief and joy that major changes are afoot - changes that will improve tremendously the education offered to these kids. It had to happen.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be asked to the Prom this month. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, that's true. The addendum to that sage advice is that the squeaky wheel is annoying, loud, unpopular, and demanding. I'm fine with that. I will leave here having made a difference. Speaking of Prom, what I wouldn't give for a big piece of Costco carrot cake right now. It's amazing the things a person begins to dream about. I wouldn't touch Costco carrot cake at home. Now, I could eat the whole cake right down to its cardboard box.

Yesterday, I reached into a small bag and pulled out my cellphone. "What is THAT?"
I temporarily forgot, that yes, I do have access to another world. I have a whole bank of phone numbers for people I used to call. That funny little keyboard is what I used to text people on. Weird. That life of ease and access is so foreign to me now.  Who ARE those people in my cellphone address book? Did I used to know them?

I think my contact with the outside world is about to get much worse. The power cord to my computer is gradually cooking itself to death before my very eyes. Not even a step down transformer is going to save it. I'm trying to coax another 23 days out of it, but I'll be lucky, very lucky if we make it. I'm going to be so heartbroken. Don't be surprised if I hold a funeral service for my power cord and a graveside dedication. No, I won't be able to replace it until I get home. Yes, that leaves me out of touch, out of luck, and out to lunch for another three weeks. Alas and Alack. T.I. I. - This Is India.




11 comments:

  1. OK, can someone in the states get a Costco carrot cake, eat it, and send the box to Betty for her to eat? OK, I have a warped sense of humor but someone did that to my wife on her mission when she was younger, sent her the wrapping from a hamburger with the smell still on it.

    And Betty, if your power cord dies, is there someone there with a modicum of electrical knowledge? Most likely it will be only burned in one place and if someone can cut that part out and splice it, most likely it will work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that, Hal. Thank you. The power box thingie heats up so hot, I can barely touch it. I'm kind of semi-hoping the darn thing goes out the day before I leave. Then I can do what I should have done a long time ago - buy an Apple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aack! The power box! That may have some fairly complex stuff in it, transformers, rectifiers etc. It still might be just a loose connection, but it is a bit more complicated so anybody who works on it should know what they are doing. You might feel along the cord to see if there is a hot spot, but if not it would be something in the power supply. If there is a hot spot on the cord that might be causing problems with the power supply and if fixed things might be OK. If there is no hot spot on the cord the problem would be inside that box.

    Some extra cooling might help, maybe a fan blowing on it if you can get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things are improving at the school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky. They definitely are. I won't be here for the fireworks and the changes, but I know they're coming and that's enough for me.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Text on what? Cell phone? NOPE. laptop? NOPE. IPOD? NOPE. Nook? NOPE. What do I text on?

      Delete
  6. Are you the only person there with a computer? I sure hope not. It will be unnerving not to hear from you. Starting the countdown till you get home... (sorry I would go to Costco and get a carrot cake and eat it for you, but there are limits haha. Just the thought makes me gag!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, I'm too proud to ask any of the white people here for help - and the Indians don't have laptops. There is a school computer I may be able to access once in awhile - in the meantime, I'm nursing my power cord along, hoping I can coax just three more weeks out of it. Wish me luck and thank you so much for being 'unnerved' by my absence. That gives me the warm fuzzies. :)

      Delete
  7. IF you are cut off from the outside world I will miss you!!!! I love reading your thoughts and feelings as you go onhis journey you are taking. If you get cut off...don't forget me.....I am in your cell phone somewhere i think..i hope....Prayers will continue every day....I wish you blessings, safety, and your coming home soon....love you....diane..."unknown"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, I'm trying to nurse this cord along by not keeping it plugged in for more than a few minutes at a time. I might make it! Yes, you're in my cell phone. You have been there for a LONG time. We have a date with a hammer, a saw, Brad's blueprints, and a chicken coop. Remember???

    ReplyDelete