Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What!???

Quite frequently, parents bring their little ones to the school for registration, hoping the child will be accepted. The public schools in India, particularly in the rural areas, are a joke. It's not unusual to see an entire school of several hundred students and nary a teacher in sight. They have all gone fishing or whatever it is they do here when they call in 'sick'. So parents try anything to find a better education option for their children. Because this school is a private school run by Americans, poor, desperate Indians assume their children will get a better education here.

I have noticed parents and their children coming in the morning around 8AM and they are still waiting as late as 12:30 PM. Sometimes their children are as young as five years old. This morning, I noticed a worried looking father with his beautiful little 5-year old boy waiting. It was 9AM. The following conversation with our erstwhile principal then occurred:

Me:   "Celina, did you notice the father with his little boy waiting to register?"
Celina: "Yes. I make new registrants wait for a long time on purpose."
Me:   "Celina, that's cruel. That's really cruel. Why would you do that?"
Celina:  "Okay, okay. I'll take care of them after the bell."

I have never met anyone so cynical and cruel. We are also ankle deep in raw sewage because the same person insists on throwing toilet paper down the toilet, something the Indian septic system was not designed to accommodate. Remember? Indians do not use toilet paper. Just when I think it can't get worse - it does.

On the bright side! I feel giddy. I feel giddy. I feel giddy and witty and gay! It's the lyrics to an old show tune just in case you're wondering. I got bettah!



3 comments:

  1. I think your "What??" pretty much sums up my reaction as well. Who is this Celina? She's an American?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's an American - and I'm ashamed that she is. She gives all of us a black eye. The Indian staff can't stand her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am giddy that you did not smack Celina a good one...I don't want you in an Indian prison....I don't know how you feel about Karma, but I believe we get back from the world what we put out into it....Be at peace...she'll get hers....
    Hugs,
    diane

    ReplyDelete