Monday, March 5, 2012

I was wrong about Sally

Dear Sally, (my daughter), the record still stands. I have never met a Sally I didn't like.

This Sally that I know here in India was a little harder to get to know because I felt that we were at opposite ends of a philosophical belief system. I saw things in a much different way than Sally did. Or so I thought. I was wrong. I know when I should admit it.

Sally has a big job on her hands. She will be trying to manage a school for 200 children, most of whom are from the Leprosy Colonies of India. She has listened, even when the news was hard for her to hear, personally. She has read everything I have written. She is going to get some things done. She will be a hands-on manager of this school. She is exactly the change that the school has been needing.

So . . . . . . . Sally, my own daughter, Sally. We love you so much. The record stands. I have never met a Sally I didn't like. Even though the other Sally will never read this blog, my heartfelt prayers go with her as she undertakes such an important task - providing the best education she can possibly give to these children. I love them. They have become a part of who I am. I will always think of them and be pulling for their every success. I feel confident that 'Sally' feels the same way. I can go home in peace.

The children are already asking when I will be going home and wanting me to write to them. I'm headed for heartbreak hotel. I care very little about what most people think of me, but I DO care very much about what the Indian people think of me. They matter to me and I want to always treat them with the respect and admiration they deserve.

I'm so glad that I stepped forward. I'm so glad that someone listened. I'm so glad that I have made so many wonderful Indian friends.




6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're feeling better and it is great that Sally there listens and will probably actually consider opposing viewpoints.

    Merlene had an idea: What if they asked you to be on the board after you return? If they are really interested in getting different viewpoints I'm not sure that would be impossible. Good luck with such if that is something you would be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hal - I'm sure I would be the last person they would want on their Board. I'm way too much trouble and not much of a team player. I would much rather start my own 'non-profit NGO and call it, "How To Get Foreign NGOs' Out Of India In Ten Easy Lessons." :)

      Delete
    2. In my opinion, every board should have a few people who are troublemakers and not team players. The least effective board is the one made up of yes-men (or women). I see a board as being there to provide a diversity of opinion and background. That kind of diversity is much more important than having different skin colors or numbers of X and Y chromosomes.

      The more you speak out and refuse to go along with the majority, the better board member you would be.

      Delete
  2. I've never met a Sally I disliked either! Though I don't know too many Sally's. But I've found that for most people I have disliked, my bad feelings don't last long once I get to know them better. It's enlightening... and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky - I wish I could say that I'm as Christlike as you are. There are some people I will never have much in common with and who I will never like. I'll repent. Some day.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad things have been better with "Sally". I can see why you like Sallys....especially that sweet, beautiful one you call your daughter...

    Blessings to you,
    diane

    ReplyDelete