Sunday, March 11, 2012

Civilization leaves me bit by bit and I begin to think simply . . . . . .

 . . . . . . .I function more freely. - Paul Gauguin.

When I arrived in India on December 31st, I had three suitcases, a carry-on and a large bag. When I return home, I'll have less than half of one suitcase, a carry-on, and a bag. I should probably give some more of it away and come home with just a carry-on.

I have learned to live more simply. I know that I can do without. I have learned how unimportant most things are. I should list all of the things that I brought that I thought were necessities. I came to India as a spoiled, naive American. I will leave India much less concerned with what I own than with who I am. I am indebted to the Indian people for lessons in resourcefulness, selflessness, patience, friendship, and creativity. They are amazing. I am ever so humble and humbled to be in their presence.

Yesterday was a special day. I couldn't do much because of a nasty critter bite on my foot, so I hid out with the maids, my favorite thing to do. Together, we tried to catch up on a mountain of laundry from the other 'guests'. We washed, hung out, and folded all day until the little tiny washing machine broke down. I'm not sure why it is so much fun because we probably understand about ten percent of what the other person is saying. I'm discovering that the important communications need no translation. Doing laundry is a universal task. Hanging out the clothes is a peaceful, fun activity to do with friends. Folding clothes with two Indian maids is hilarious. I found out that EVERYONE has a special way to fold sheets and NOBODY is backing down.

Here is a photo of four of my Indian friends. They are all dressed up for a festive occasion. Indians love festive occasions. They cook up any excuse to have one. This grand fete was nothing more than a school science fair, complete with visiting dignitaries and the sprinkling of rose water everywhere. Don't you love how they wore complementary saris! To get the full effect of a sari, it's necessary to watch how Indian women walk when they are wearing one. Their gracefulness is amazing. Michael Jackson stole his 'moon walk' from an Indian woman wearing a sari.



3 comments:

  1. These ladies are BEAUTIFUL!!!! When Grace wore her sari to graduation I had to take her to an Indian store in Tigard to have this sweet Indian woman dress her...When I help with the sari it is like I have Grace hold one end and just spin....As usual you amaze me that you see all you have learned even though you went there to be the teacher....AND through the lessons you have learned, we who read your blog have learned as well....Many blessings...di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, As they say in India - You are a 'handsome' friend. I think about Grace so often. I'm glad that you have been sensitive to her culture. She must have looked beautiful in her sari. Yes, there is an intricate technique to putting on a sari. I don't know any American women who can do it themselves. I would never wear a sari. An Indian woman in a sari is just too beautiful for someone like me to try to emulate. Thank you for all of your support, Diane. Give Grace a hug for me, won't you?

      Delete
    2. I really love this post, Betty. For a long time I've been thinking about gratitude. I've come to the conclusion that it is hard, if not almost impossible, to feel pure honest gratitude without having some kind of deprivation. Most of us wouldn't deliberately choose the path of deprivation so that we could possess a grateful heart but blessed is the person who obtains it! Your post was very uplifting because every word was ringing with gratitude for your beautiful Indian friends. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete