Saturday, March 17, 2012

God and My New Ecco Sandals

Today is Sunday. The Sabbath.

 It is a two-hour drive one way to Church through the most incredible traffic imaginable. Motorcycles, Rickshaws, buses, cement trucks, bicycles, and every driver with a strong death wish. I begin my Sundays with a prayer for safety and end them with a prayer of thanks.

Today, I have a little something more for which I must express my thanks and I want to thank Him publicly.

I was told before I came to India that I should wear only closed-toe shoes. When I got here, I realized that advice was not going to work out very well. Everyone wears sandals. It's too hot to do anything else. Thankfully, I had brought a pair of rubber flip flops for the shower. I have been walking around for over two months in rubber flip flops and frankly, the tread was wearing a little thin. The situation was exacerbating some foot problems I already had and I felt desperate for some kind of solution. I couldn't exactly run out on a shopping spree and buy me a pair of good sandals.

So God went shopping for me.

There is a closet here full of the cast-offs of my predecessors. Every time I look in there, I'm reminded of the personal belongings of pioneers strewn along the Oregon Trail as they 'lightened' their loads. I had been through those cast-offs a number of times looking for some kind of shoe that might replace my shower flip flops. I never found anything.

Last week, in a desperate move, though I had already searched the shoe selection quite thoroughly, I decided to look one more time. There, in plain view, rested a beautiful pair of Ecco sandals, just my size. I hesitate to admit this, but I stood and cried. Those shoes hadn't been there a week ago. We hadn't had a volunteer group come through since the last time I looked, so the sandals hadn't been left recently. Apparently, I had just missed seeing them all this time . . . . . . . . . . . .Or not.

I dusted them off, cleaned them with a damp cloth, and put those babies on. I have died and gone to heaven. Wait. Maybe. Heaven couldn't possibly be this hot. Uh-oh.

God has good taste. My sandals cost over $100 on Amazon.

Today is Sunday. The Sabbath.

Thank you, God. Thank you. I love you. Credit given where credit is due. Even though I'm in India, you still know where I am, you are still aware of my needs, and you love me back.

Amen.



5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you found these shoes...nothing is worse than sore feet....I will thank God tonight in my prayers for giving you these shoes...love you,
    di

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great you got some good shoes that don't cook your feet. However as for Heaving not being as hot as India, see

    http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/hell.htm

    One claim is that Heaven is hotter than Hell. The other, without disputing that heaven is horribly hot by our standards, claims that Hell is even hotter.

    Sort of goes along with Joseph Smith's statement that we have to learn to live in everlasting burnings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just amazing. And you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if someone left them in the closet for later? You just stole someone's sandals. Question: Is it April 7th yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tender mercies abound for those that serve His children. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least..."

    ReplyDelete