Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Flower in Her Hair

India. Sometimes this place can break your heart.

 Yesterday, yet another busload of Board members arrived. To plan for their arrival, the Indian staff had everyone wear flowers in their hair.

When the Board members disembarked from their tour bus, the children threw rose petals in their path. My fifth standard children who should have been learning something in my class were deployed during class time to throw the rose petals. Later, they came up to me and told me how much they missed being in class with me.

I did not know why the staff was putting flowers in my hair and throwing petals on my head until it was too late. I noticed everyone wearing flowers except for one person. Vennila.

"Vennila, where are the flowers in your hair? Everyone has flowers except for you."

Vennila's reply? "I can never again wear flowers in my hair because I am a widow and I am supposed to be in mourning for my husband for the rest of my life."

I instantly removed the flower from my hair and brushed the rose petals away. I hated the whole idea, anyway. I felt like a monkey on a chain yesterday. I can only imagine how the Indian Staff must have felt. I know that what they exhibit and how they feel are two very different things. Me, too.

India. Sometimes this place can break your heart.

4 comments:

  1. That's horrible. No one should have the right to tell her she can't get joy out of life, that she has to be in constant mourning. That seems worse to me than than lice or snakes or dirty hospitals. Who came up with that idea, to stomp on the little rays of light that should exist in a human life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes India can break your heart, but YOU are changing the hearts and lives of those you come in contact with....In looking at your pictures you really do need a burger and fries....that or I have to quit eating until you come home so we don't look like Mutt and Jeff....diane

    ReplyDelete