Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Good things about India . . . . . .

I'm writing this post because my dear mother is afraid the Indian authorities are going to think I'm important enough to read this blog. Then they're going to cook up some excuse for arresting me and I'm going to wind up in an Indian jail, a far better option than an Indian government hospital. So, in the spirit of objectivity, well, no . . . . . . I'm never objective, I thought and I thought. I thought some more. I pondered the question: "What good things are there that I can report about India? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .still thinking . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Okay. I've got something.

(1)  I get to go to school every day in my pajamas. They are actually called "Ali-Babas", but the effect is still the same. Actually, pajamas would be a step up.

(2)  Nobody here knows what I actually look like. The humidity makes me look like a 'Ghandi-like' version of Shirley Temple. Why bother to comb my hair in this heat and humidity? Or take a shower for that matter. Everyone else smells worse than I do.

(3)  I can swear and nobody will understand what I just said. For example, I get to say, "Sit down and shut up you little S---" and everyone thinks I just said, "Stand up and let's have a party." Groovy. I also get to say "groovy" and nobody here dates me back to the sixties.

(4)  When I walk by, all of the Indian teachers stand up and bow. I am able to nurture my Napoleonic delusions of grandeur freely.

(5)  I get to lie in bed at night and hear the craziest animal calls and shrieks and roars. I feel so protected by the flimsy screen on my window.

(6)  The full moon in India is so bright, it's difficult to look at. I'm serious. In Oregon, the moon is definitely sandbagging. It's got way more wattage than it pretends it has.

(7)  I can bobble head. I can bobble head that Brahmin jackass in the Administrative office and he doesn't even know what I'm saying. I love bobble heading. I have said some of the meanest things that way. Just today, I told someone I was thinking of killing them and I sincerely hoped they wouldn't take it personally.

(8)  I get to look into a 100 pairs of beautiful brown eyes and realize that I can and I am making a difference, one child at a time. I have to pretend I'm Nanny McPhee sometimes, but I always get to break the spell sooner or later and earn a hug from some needy child.

(9)  I am adjusting to a life absolutely devoid of comfort and realizing that I don't need comfort - but I do need to know that for a few brief months, I touched lives and lives touched mine forever.


 
Vanilla Mary

(10) I met Vanilla Mary. And I am forever humbled. Vanilla Mary is illiterate, but speaks Hindi, Tamil, and English flawlessly. She earns about $100 per month. A few days ago, she came to me and asked if I would help her fill out a donation slip. She can't even write her name. She gave 12 percent of her meager earnings and 'thanked God' for her blessings. The wet spots on the donation slip were my tears. I, who have so much . . . . . . . . . .

So, there you have it. Ten things I like about India. And you all thought I couldn't be anything but a cranky cynic, didn't you?

alu Kalai Vanakkam.  I'm learning Tamil. Wait just a SECOND . . . . . .didn't I come here to teach English??

15 comments:

  1. Amazing stuff, thanks for another post. The highlight of my day... It makes our Wal-Mart poverty in the US look like decadence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm delighted that you're able to share my experiences with me, John. It makes life over here feel not quite as lonely as it might otherwise might be. I don't know if you're aware of my family situation, but I'm married and I left my husband home alone for nearly four months. I hope he's still there when I get back. I still need someone to support my crazy schemes. Have a great day and thanks again. I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, MOM! I am so proud of you! You have adjusted so well and you are making a difference! I can't wait for you to come home. I miss calling you everyday, but I am happy that you are in India helping children create better futures. I have a best mom EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I miss our daily chats SO much. Thank goodness for Skype. At least I get to see you once a week on Skype. You are my inspiration, Katie, and I love you so much.

      Delete
  4. Putting aside all of the noble and selfless things you are doing, I have a funny picture in my mind of the adjustment when back in the US to number 4 above. But if bow I must when I'm in your presence, it will be in honor of what you are doing now for some of God's creations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commence bowing and scraping, Garth. Get some practice. I'll be home. Eventually. Someday. Maybe. I hope. :)

      Delete
  5. Vanilla Mary is really beautiful, just as you said. And you are far from cynical! It must be a shock every single day to interact with people in a "normal" way when things are so abnormal by our standards. Think how lost any of those folks would be if suddenly transferred to your home environment. Of course they would find it heavenly rather than hellish. Still I think the shock factor would be the same. Kudos to you, Betty for hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,Bethany, Vanilla Mary is very beautiful. She wears the most beautiful saris with amazing grace and style. This sari she is wearing is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  6. Just sat down to catch up on your posts. I'm humbled, grateful and in awe, Betty! Thanks for giving us all a glimpse of you and your good will. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a character!!!! I wish all these people you are meeting knew how many REALLY funny things you say...I am so glad I understand (most of) what you say...diane

    Hahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She IS beautiful. I love her teeth. I want beautiful teeth like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We paid $5,000 for you to have teeth like that. You better be brushing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm not the only one with a command of language!

    ReplyDelete
  11. #4 sounds like you are sneaking in a complaint. I love reading your 10 good things, well 9, if I don't count #4.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone ever argue your english with you, sure that you have it wrong? I did once online with a pakastani whose tutor told him a sentence that was clearly bad english. The tutor decided I didnt know what I was talking about.

    ReplyDelete